Index for Researchers
Important: Current Status Report
Subaru Telescope has a suite of eight facility instruments
providing imaging and spectroscopic capabilities over the full range
of wavelengths from optical to mid-infrared.
- AO188 - Subaru 188-elements Adaptive Optics system - delivers diffraction-limited images in the near-infrared.
- FOCAS - Faint Object Camera And Spectrograph - provides optical imaging and longslit and multi-slit spectroscopy over a 6 arcmin field of view.
- HDS - High Dispersion Spectrograph - provides extremely high-resolution optical spectroscopy.
- HSC - Hyper Suprime-Cam - provides optical imaging over a very large field of view (1.5 degree diameter) with a mosaic of CCDs.
- IRCS - Infrared Camera and Spectrograph - provides high-angular resolution imaging combined with AO188, low-resolution grism and high-resolution echelle spectroscopies over 0.9-5.6 microns.
Visiting instruments* (Procedures to carry-in Visiting instruments )
- CHARIS - Coronagraphic High Angular Resolution Imaging Spectrograph - provides high contrast images of exoplanets, disks, brown dwarfs with SCExAO+AO188. [PIs: J. Kasdin, T. D. Groff, J. Lozi, O. Guyon]
- FastPDI - Polarization differential imaging (PDI) with a high speed (>kHz) near-IR (950 - 1860 nm) low-noise camera (C-RED One), optimized for high contrast imaging of circumstellar disks with SCExAO+AO188. [PIs: J. Lozi, T. Kudo, O. Guyon]
- IRD - Infrared Doppler - provides high spectral resolution echelle spectroscopy and radial velocity measurements from 0.97 to 1.75 um simultaneously combined with AO188. [PIs: T. Kotani, M. Tamura]
- MEC - MKID Exoplanet Camera is a near-IR (800-1400nm) photon-counting low-resolution (R~5) integral field spectrograph optimized for high contrast imaging with SCExAO+AO188. [PIs: B. Mazin, O. Guyon]
- REACH - Rigorous Exoplanetary Atmosphere Characterization with High dispersion coronography - connects the high-contrast instrument (SCExAO) to the high-resolution IR spectrograph (IRD) at the Subaru Telescope (IRD+SCExAO+AO188). [PIs: T. Kotani, H. Kawahara, J. Lozi, M. Tamura, O. Guyon]
- SCExAO - Subaru Coronagraphic Extreme Adaptive Optics - delivers high contrast images of the innermost surrounding of bright sources to CHARIS and VAMPIRES. [PI: O. Guyon]
- SWIMS : Simultaneous-color Wide-field Infrared Multi-object Spectrograph - provides simultaneous two-color imaging or 0.9-2.5 micron low-resolution multi-object spectroscopy in a single exposure over a 3.3 arcmin x 6.6 arcmin field of view. [PI: K. Motohara]
- VAMPIRES - Visible Aperture Masking Polarimetric Imager for Resolved Exoplanetary Structures - provides diffraction limited scattered-light imaging of circumstellar environments with sparse aperture masking interferometry (non-redundant masking) combining with differential polarimetry. [PIs: P. Tuthill, B. Norris, O. Guyon]
- NsIR Wave Plate Unit - which is used in IRCS polarimetry mode and a part of SCExAO+CHARIS/VAMPIRES polarimetry mode. [PI: M. Tamura]
(*) Observing proposals using the visiting instruments and devices must include the relevant instrument/device PIs as Co-investigators.
- MOIRCS - Multi-Object Infrared Camera and Spectrograph - provides imaging and low-resolution spectroscopy from 0.9-2.5 microns over a 4 arcmin x 7 arcmin field of view (not available due to hibernation for S21A-S22B).
- AO36 - Subaru 36-elements Adaptive Optics system - delivers diffraction-limited images in the near-infrared.
- CIAO - Coronagraphic Imager - provides a near-infrared imaging capability in the vicinity of bright sources.
- COMICS - Cooled Mid-Infrared Camera and Spectrograph - provides imaging and spectroscopy from 7.5-25 microns (not available since S20B).
- HiCIAO - High Contrast Instrument for the Subaru Next Generation Adaptive Optics - provides a near-infrared imaging capability in the vicinity of bright sources. Although HiCIAO+AO188 has been extensively used in the SEEDS project and openuse programs, this mode is no longer available since S16B. HiCIAO will be used as a camera combined with SCExAO only (opening until S17B).
- CISCO/OHS - Cooled Infrared Spectrograph and Camera for OHS - provides imaging and low-resolution spectroscopy in the near-infrared.
- FMOS - Fiber Multi Object Spectrograph - provides fiber-fed multi-object spectroscopy from 0.9-1.8 microns over a 30 arcmin field of view.
- Kyoto3DII - Kyoto tridimensional spectrograph II - provides Fabry-Perot / filter imaging and integral field / long-slit spectroscopy in the optical (opening until S17A).
- RAVEN - Multi-Object Adaptive Optics(MOAO) demonstrator - delivers diffraction limited images in 2 science channels to IRCS.
- Suprime-Cam - Subaru Prime Focus Camera - provides optical imaging over a large field of view with a mosaic of CCDs (opening until S17A).
A number of exposure time calculators
The following figure and tables should help you decide which
instrument(s) is right for your needs.
|Instrument ||Resolution (slit width) ||Slit length
||250-7500 (0.4") ||6', multi
||32000 (1") - 160000 (0.2") ||10", 60"
||50 (0.9") - 1400 (0.1")
||6.5-20" ||0.020", 0.052"
||5000 (0.54") - 20000 (0.14")
||463-3180 (0.5") ||multi
|Instrument ||Field of view ||Pixel scale
|FOCAS ||6' diameter
|HSC ||1.5 degree diameter
|IRCS ||21", 54"
||0.020", 0.052" ||18
|MOIRCS ||4' x 7'
General enquiries may be directed to Dr. Tae-Soo Pyo ().
8 Feb, 2021
2000-2013 Subaru Telescope, NAOJ. All rights reserved.