Index for Researchers
Important: Current Status Report
Subaru Telescope has a suite of eight facility instruments
providing imaging and spectroscopic capabilities over the full range
of wavelengths from optical to mid-infrared.
- AO188 - Subaru 188-elements Adaptive Optics system - delivers diffraction-limited images in the near-infrared.
- COMICS - Cooled Mid-Infrared Camera and Spectrograph - provides imaging and spectroscopy from 7.5-25 microns (opening until S20A).
- FOCAS - Faint Object Camera And Spectrograph - provides optical imaging and longslit and multi-slit spectroscopy over a 6 arcmin field of view.
- HDS - High Dispersion Spectrograph - provides extremely high-resolution optical spectroscopy.
- HSC - Hyper Suprime-Cam - provides optical imaging over a very large field of view (1.5 degree diameter) with a mosaic of CCDs.
- IRCS - Infrared Camera and Spectrograph - provides high-angular resolution imaging combined with AO188, low-resolution grism and high-resolution echelle spectroscopies over 0.9-5.6 microns.
- MOIRCS - Multi-Object Infrared Camera and Spectrograph - provides imaging and low-resolution spectroscopy from 0.9-2.5 microns over a 4 arcmin x 7 arcmin field of view (not available from S21A because of hibernation).
Visiting instruments* (Procedures to carry-in Visiting instruments )
- CHARIS - Coronagraphic High Angular Resolution Imaging Spectrograph - provides high contrast images of exoplanets, disks, brown dwarfs with SCExAO+AO188.
- IRD - Infrared Doppler - provides high spectral resolution echelle spectroscopy and radial velocity measurements from 0.97 to 1.75 um simultaneously combined with AO188
- SCExAO - Subaru Coronagraphic Extreme Adaptive Optics - delivers high contrast images of the innermost surrounding of bright sources to CHARIS and VAMPIRES.
- VAMPIRES - Visible Aperture Masking Polarimetric Imager for Resolved Exoplanetary Structures - provides diffraction limited scattered-light imaging of circumstellar environments with sparse aperture masking interferometry (non-redundant masking) combining with differential polarimetry.
(*) Observing proposals using the visiting instruments must include the relevant instrument PI as a Co-investigator.
- AO36 - Subaru 36-elements Adaptive Optics system - delivers diffraction-limited images in the near-infrared.
- CIAO - Coronagraphic Imager - provides a near-infrared imaging capability in the vicinity of bright sources.
- HiCIAO - High Contrast Instrument for the Subaru Next Generation Adaptive Optics - provides a near-infrared imaging capability in the vicinity of bright sources. Although HiCIAO+AO188 has been extensively used in the SEEDS project and openuse programs, this mode is no longer available since S16B. HiCIAO will be used as a camera combined with SCExAO only (opening until S17B).
- CISCO/OHS - Cooled Infrared Spectrograph and Camera for OHS - provides imaging and low-resolution spectroscopy in the near-infrared.
- FMOS - Fiber Multi Object Spectrograph - provides fiber-fed multi-object spectroscopy from 0.9-1.8 microns over a 30 arcmin field of view.
- Kyoto3DII - Kyoto tridimensional spectrograph II - provides Fabry-Perot / filter imaging and integral field / long-slit spectroscopy in the optical (opening until S17A).
- RAVEN - Multi-Object Adaptive Optics(MOAO) demonstrator - delivers diffraction limited images in 2 science channels to IRCS.
- Suprime-Cam - Subaru Prime Focus Camera - provides optical imaging over a large field of view with a mosaic of CCDs (opening until S17A).
A number of exposure time calculators
The following figure and tables should help you decide which
instrument(s) is right for your needs.
|Instrument ||Resolution (slit width) ||Slit length
||250-10000 (0.33") ||40"
||250-7500 (0.4") ||6', multi
||32000 (1") - 160000 (0.2") ||10", 60"
||50 (0.9") - 1400 (0.1")
||6.5-20" ||0.020", 0.052"
||5000 (0.54") - 20000 (0.14")
||463-3180 (0.5") ||multi
|Instrument ||Field of view ||Pixel scale
|COMICS ||42" x 32"
|FOCAS ||6' diameter
|HSC ||1.5 degree diameter
|IRCS ||21", 54"
||0.020", 0.052" ||18
|MOIRCS ||4' x 7'
General enquiries may be directed to Dr. Tae-Soo Pyo ().
21 January, 2020
2000-2013 Subaru Telescope, NAOJ. All rights reserved.