Subaru Telescope has a suite of eight facility instruments
providing imaging and spectroscopic capabilities over the full range
of wavelengths from optical to mid-infrared.
- AO188 - Subaru 188-elements Adaptive
Optics system - delivers diffraction-limited images in the
- COMICS - Cooled Mid-Infrared
Camera and Spectrograph - provides imaging and
spectroscopy from 8-25 microns.
- FMOS - Fiber Multi Object
Spectrograph - provides fiber-fed multi-object spectroscopy from
0.9-1.8 microns over a 30 arcmin field of view.
- FOCAS - Faint Object
Camera And Spectrograph - provides optical imaging and longslit and
multi-slit spectroscopy over a 6 arcmin field of view.
- HDS - High Dispersion
Spectrograph - provides extremely high-resolution optical
- IRCS - Infrared Camera
and Spectrograph - provides imaging from 0.9-5.5 microns, and
low-resolution and echelle spectroscopy over the same range.
- MOIRCS - Multi-Object Infrared Camera
and Spectrograph - provides imaging and low-resolution spectroscopy
from 0.9-2.5 microns over a 4 arcmin x 7 arcmin field of view.
- Suprime-Cam - Subaru
Prime Focus Camera - provides optical imaging over a large field of
view with a mosaic of CCDs.
- HSC - Hyper Suprime-Cam - provides optical
imaging over a very large field of view (1.5 degree diameter) with a mosaic
Visiting instruments* (Procedures to carry-in Visiting instruments )
- HiCIAO - High Contrast Instrument for the Subaru Next Generation Adaptive Optics - provides a near-infrared imaging capability in the vicinity of bright sources.
- Kyoto3DII - Kyoto tridimensional spectrograph II - provides Fabry-Perot / filter imaging and integral field / long-slit spectroscopy in the optical.
- SCExAO - Subaru Coronagraphic Extreme Adaptive Optics - delivers high contrast images of the innermost surrounding of bright sources to HiCIAO.
(*) Observing proposals using the visiting instruments must include the relevant instrument PI as a Co-investigator.
- RAVEN - Multi-Object Adaptive Optics(MOAO) demonstrator - delivers diffraction limited images in 2 science channels to IRCS.
- CIAO - Coronagraphic Imager - provides a near-infrared imaging capability in the vicinity of bright sources.
- AO36 - Subaru 36-elements Adaptive Optics system -
delivers diffraction-limited images in the near-infrared.
- CISCO/OHS - Cooled Infrared Spectrograph
and Camera for OHS - provides imaging and low-resolution spectroscopy
in the near-infrared.
A number of exposure time calculators
The following figure and tables should help you decide which
instrument(s) is right for your needs.
|Instrument ||Resolution ||Slit length
||10000 (0.33") ||40"
||500-2200 (1.2"; fiber diameter) ||30', multi
||250-7500 (0.4") ||6', multi
||100000 (0.38") ||10",60"
||640-1600 (0.5") ||multi
|Instrument ||Field of view ||Pixel scale
|COMICS ||42" x 32"
|FOCAS ||6' diameter
|MOIRCS ||4' x 7'
|Suprime-Cam ||34' x 27'
|HSC ||1.5 degree diameter
General enquiries may be directed to Dr. Tae-Soo Pyo ().
07 February, 2014
2000-2013 Subaru Telescope, NAOJ. All rights reserved.