FMOS: Fiber Multi Object Spectrograph
ATTENTION - Operation |
-  The Low Resolution mode (LR) and the High Resolution mode (HR)
are available on both IRS1 and IRS2 spectrographs while
FMOS is still operated in a shared-risk mode.
-  Important for the applicants/observers who want
to use HR: There are
a few important restrictions applid in the operation of HR.
Applicants/observers should go to this
page and keep the notes there in mind about the use of HR.
-  A new HR mode is open as 'H-short prime' covering 1.45 - 1.67 micron.
-  FMOS might be decomissioned and unavailable from S16A.
FMOS is a fiber-fed multi-object spectrograph. The Echidna fiber
positioner system configures 400 fibers with an accuracy of 0.2 arcsec
rms in the 30-arcmin diamter field of view at the Subaru prime focus
and these fibers are extracted as spectra by the two spectrographs
(IRS1 & IRS2). A mask mirror is installed in these spectrographs for
OH airglow suppression (OHS). The spectral coverage is from 0.9 μm
to 1.8 μm. This is observed at one exposure entirely with R=600 in
the Low Resolution mode (LR), while it is divided into four bands
("J-short", "J-long", "H-short", "H-short prime" & "H-long") with a ~0.25 μm
coverage and one of them is observed at one exposure with R=2200 in
the High Resolution mode (HR).
!! Important notes for S14A or later observers !!|
- We request S14A or later observers to download the latest version
(20130311 version) from the link below and prepare s2o files using
it. We beieve the known issues on the previous version have been solved.
Questions regarding these pages should be directed
to Kentaro Aoki ( ). Please note
that all numbers on these pages are subject to change as the
characteristics and performance of FMOS are better determined.
Readers can also refer to the papers as listed below and references
therein for more details of this instrument:
- "The Fibre Multi-Object
Spectrograph (FMOS) for Subaru Telescope"
- Kimura, M., et al. 2010, Publication of The
Astronomical Sciety of Japan, Vol. 62, 1135
- "FIBRE-pac: FMOS image-based
- Iwamuro, F., et al. 2012, Publication of The
Astronomical Sciety of Japan, Vol. 64, 59
- "FMOS: the fiber
multiple-object spectrograph: Part VI. Onboard performances and
results of the engineering observations"
- Iwamuro, F. et al. 2008, Proc. of SPIE, Vol. 7014,
- "Performance of Echidna fiber
positioner for FMOS on Subaru"
- Akiyama, M., et al. 2008, Proc. of SPIE,
Vol. 7018, 94
- "Echidna: the engineering
- Brzeski, J., et al. 2004, Proc. of SPIE,
Vol. 5492, 1228
- "Integration, commissioning, and
performance of the UK FMOS spectrograph"
- Dalton, G., et al. 2008, Proc. of SPIE, Vol. 7014,
- "Design and construction of the
fibre system for FMOS"
- Murray, G., et al. 2008, Proc. of SPIE, Vol. 7014,
tests of volume-phase holographic gratings: results at 100
- Tamura, N. et al. 2006, Applied Optics, Vol. 45,
Last updated: Feburary 11, 2014